Friday, December 7, 2012

Returning to the Project

Between my work as a teacher-librarian, my work as an editorial board member for the OSLA's Teaching Librarian and my work as editor of the Voices for School Library Network's School Libraries in Canada, I got side-tracked from my vocation as a blogger.

Now with the prospect of my school day starting 90 minutes later than usual and ending an hour earlier than usual as a consequence of the dispute with the Government of Ontario, I think I may have some time for blogging about some interesting books for engaging young adult readers.

One book you probably won't find unless you go out of your way is How to Make a Golem and Terrify People. Written by Alette J. Willis, an alumnus of the high school where I teach (who now works at Edinburgh University), this novel won a book of the year award for Scottish Children's fiction.

Although it is aimed at a slightly younger audience, this book would be engaging for many Grade Nine readers and this fictional examination of the dynamics of fear, bullying and friendship has entertainment value for a much broader audience.

No comments: